Let’s double the dosage and get the scoop on the next two spices; Density and Texture. Paired together, these spices perform a smashing tango telling you which products and hair styles are best for your hair. It’s only perfect that we gossip about the two as a couple. Struggling with flat or puffy hair and don’t know what products to use? This is definitely the article for you!
Why is this Twosome a Power Couple?
Density measures the number of strands per square inch on your head. Simply put, it’s the number of individual strands on your head. There are 3 classifications of density; low, medium and high.
Texture is the measure of the width or “thickness” of the hair strand. Basically, does your hair strand have “junk in the trunk”? Texture also has 3 classifications which are fine, medium, and coarse (commonly referred to as thick).
What does this mean for you?
- Low density + Fine hair = Use light hair products so as not to weigh down the hair making it look thin. Volumizing products are equally beneficial in that they make the hair appear fuller.
- Medium density + Medium texture = Alternate between various products to give volume, structure, etc.
- High Density + Coarse texture = Use hair products that are heavier to add more hair structure and minimize the “puffy” look.
Now that we’ve let the cat out of the bag, let’s tango! It’s time to test our Density and Texture.
*Natural Guru Tip: For accurate results, perform this test with straightened hair.*
Put your hair in a ponytail (if you are able) and measure the width (circular part) of the ponytail. If…
- the width is less than 2 inches, you have low density
- the width is more than 4 inches, you have high density
- the width is between 2 and 4 inches, you have medium density
Take a piece of thread and measure it’s width against a single strand of your hair’s width.
- your hair strand’s width is less (smaller) than the thread, you have fine hair
- your hair strand’s width is equal (same size) to the thread, you have medium hair
- your hair strand’s width is greater (larger) than the thread, you have coarse/thick hair
Tiffani Davis, founder of the Natural Hair Guru, is an enthusiastic hair lover who has even been described as a total hair geek! Being intrigued with hair ever since she was rocking pigtails, she is ever so eager to help any and everyone on their hair journey. Tiffani aims to help people show off their true potential with Amazing, Vibrant Hair for as she says “There’s gorgeousness in every hair strand, the trick is to unlock it; I have the key.”